Saturday 15 March 2014

Re: Iron Mask Fifth Son Of Winterdoom review

The recent review I posted has been bothering me…   I have to admit I am not a poffessional journalist/music critic and this is very much a new venture for me.   My main concern about my review is the possibility that it may bare similarities to a review I read somewhere.  If this is the case this isn’t because of ripping off someone else’s article…  In fact I can’t even remember where I read the review.  I was going to post a link so visitor to this site could make their own mind-up.  I often think it is a mistake to read other peoples reviews before embarking on writing one yourself.  As things tend to stick in your mind on a subconscious level, and can often influence how you write.  So if their is any similarity to any other review out their it was completely unintentional. 
I can assure that the review is my work and, as the long labour over the keyboard and constant corrections and edits made to perfect it, even after I’d already published it to my blog will testify.  Also this was a review written from the heart by a fan of Dushan Patrossi, and also actually bought the CD in question.  Not some heartless reviewer who was given a free promo copy.
While I am a fan of Dushan’s music and am privileged to have him as a personal contact, the review is fully representative of my views and opinions.   I am not professional, this is just a personal blovg, and the review is written by a fan who has nothing to gain by not giving an honest opinion.   But it seems to me that most of these so called critics are not professionals any way.  Although their are some very good reviews out there,  including the one I read that influence me.  I felt most of them were extremely unfair.  While I know the album in question may not be to everyone's taste and people are entitled to their opinion.  It should a least read as if the reviewer as been bothered to actually listen to it!
Here are some examples that prompted me to write my review:
http://mwiemetalblog.over-blog.com/cd-review-iron-mask-fifth-son-of-winterdoom:
“The focus of the 12 songs is again mostly on neo-classic heavy metal, amongst others inspired by Yngwie Malmsteen.
Talking about Malmsteen - "Like a lion in a cage" is one of these songs. I think that it's actually even better than the material on Malmsteen's last record. Fast guitar runs and a straight forward beat combined with great vocals make the song irresistible. “
Alien Candy says:   Well did you listen to the whole album??  Their is only one neo-classical track on the whole album!   "Like a lion in a cage", the track you mention is the one I’m on about!  Still nice comments so you get points for that.”"
http://mwiemetalblog.over-blog.com/cd-review-iron-mask-fifth-son-of-winterdoom:
“Conclusion: Good songs, catchy melodies, good production, but also a little bit predictable and too much of "heard already". Anyhow, fans of Rhapsody, ... will like this album.”
Alien Candy says : predictable and too much of "heard already"- Well you may have a point, even if you don’t your entitled to your opinion.  But I don’t know how you can possibly compare it to Rhapsody!!  Nothing like them…  Oh for the record I hate Rhapsody.
“When "Fifth Son of Winterdoom" applies a stronger power/heavy metal vibe, Iron Mask still does little of worth. They specifically use Iron Maiden riffs inspired by "Fear of the Dark" (that's not a good thing) for SEVEN MINUTES on "Reconquista 1492," and the title track, which I'm assuming is about wandering around aimlessly in the snow, is about as fun as wandering around aimlessly in the snow. They merely recycle riffs and ideas used by superior groups, albeit without the dynamic charm that a band like, say, Portrait uses to express Mercyful Fate worship. It's sadly the humdrum songwriting that brings this down, as Mark Boals sounds fantastic as usual and the virtuosic shredding brightens up the murky skies to an extent.”
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Iron_Mask/Fifth_Son_of_Winterdoom/387351/:
Alien Candy Says:  Well where do I begin???????????    I’m not even going to respond to this, except in my view utter tosh….
http://www.metal-temple.com/site/catalogues/entry/reviews/cd_3/i_2/iron-mask-fifth-son.htm:
“Which brings me to the title track: starting with the crunch of footsteps in snow accompanied by a crying infant, we are treated to ten minutes of a song that quite frankly goes nowhere except in circles. It is a rather bloated affair that is not good. Not at all. That was probably the longest ten minutes of my life. But wait, there’s more! “Reconquista 1492” lumbers along at a snail’s pace and can only be described as slow torture featuring recycled IRON MAIDEN riffs. And oy, “Rock Religion”…with that title, do I need to say anymore??”
Alien Candy Says:  “Rock Religion” is in fact one of the best tracks!  This is a classic anthem, like Rainbow’s, “Long Live Rock N’ Roll”,  AC/DC’s “Let Their Be Rock”, Kiss’s “God Gave Rock N’ Roll To You”, and Manowar’s “Glove’s Of Metal”.   Metal is history is littered with them, and if Rock Religion doesn’t get you punching the air then there is seriously something wring with you…   I recommend you get you hearing checked out!  Are you sure you’re a fan of rock music?
There are plenty more, these are in fact some of the better example I found.  But to show there are some good reviews here’s a comment I love from Metaltalk.net:
By Gary 'Rockulus' Clarke:
“There's a lot of tender love and care invested here and overall it entertains. The performances are top notch and will be well received by those who appreciate this area of the Universe of Rock. With the energy on show throughout, they are 'Like A Lion In A Cage'.” 
Hmm, I wonder….?    Maybe Mr Petrossi’s, Management might send me as a reward for being a loyal fan some free promotional copies to review in future…  Just a thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment