Monday 27 January 2014

Review: Lace & Whiskey - Running Out of Time Cd album


By Lee SmithImage description
Running Out of Time
Track list:
1 - But Do You Love Me?
2 - I'm Here for You
3 - The Nightmare's Back
4 - Out of Time
5 - Confuse the Mind
6 - What Is Love?
7 - Isolation
8 - Bad Dream
9 - Night of the Armada
10 - Don't Ask Questions
11 - Time Never Ends

This is a difficult one to do, because I know Andy Hodgson of Lace & Whiskey personally. But here at Alien Candy we have to give you an honest opinion.  So as such my reviews have to be hard as nails.  For one my reputation as a reviewer has to be solid.   I also wouldn't be doing Lace & Whiskey any favours by not doing an honest review.   I feel okay about this one to tell the truth because this is a good album and if It wasn't It would be my duty to tell you.
First off, the CD cover photo of the band holding clocks in front of their faces I find  intriguing.  The band were formed in East London, 'Running Out of Time' was released on 12 June 2012.  Lace & Whiskey are, lead singer Andy Hodgson, lead guitarist Melissa Collett, Nick Charleston on bass and Aaron Smith on drums., who has a pleasant rhythmic approach to pounding the skins.

Melissa Collett is an excellent guitarist and works well with the raspy vocal styling of Andy Hodgson (Rock ‘n’ Roll Andy).  'But Do You Love Me', Is a song that most people who are, or have ever been in a relationship can identify with.
To me they have a 70s bluesy rock feel reminiscent of the Face’s, with a dash of folk..   Although I loved the album from when I first heard it, it took me a while to decide if I was a fan or otherwise.  Not because it wasn't good, just so different to what I would normally listen to.  Retro and sublime, Lace & Whisky soon charmed me.
Another stand out track is 'Out of Time' the official single from the album.  Full of hooks, you'll soon be singing along with your hair brush microphone.
'The Nightmare’s Back' is a darker track probably influenced by personal life events, although not as radio friendly as the other two tracks, still every bit as good.

‘Night Of The Armada’ is obviously inspired by Iron Maiden.  Although a contrast to the rest of the album it comes as no surprise to me who knows Andy personally.
This isn’t a perfect album,  some song although still good, are middle of the road.  At times Andy's vocals seem a little rough.  I wonder if Melissa’s vocals shouldn't be a little more prominent instead of coming in occasionally for backing duty.  But when this band are hot they are hot!  Overall I highly recommend 'Running Out of Time' as it represents excellent value for money.

Lace & Whiskey Live!
Please see * for more information on my review rating scores.
Production: 9
Shred: 2
Song Writing: 7
Performance: 7
25/40 = Green thumbs-up!
* Any review scores more than 20/40 gets the Green Thumbs up!  Any Scores 35 or above get the Alien Candy gold award, and is an essential buy.
Please see official site for Purchasing information.














No comments:

Post a Comment